Classification societies are organizations that survey and classify ships, both during their construction and operation. They are the principal means by which standards of construction and maintenance are enforced, and ship certificates can be issued by Flag States.
Classification societies are licensed by "Flag States" to undertake this work on their behalf.
Following are the principal classification societies:
- American Bureau of Shipping (U.S.) (ABS) www.eagle.org
- Bureau Veritas (France) (BV)www.bureauveritas.com
- China Classification Society (CCS)www.ccs.org.cn
- Det Norske Veritas (Norway) (DNV)www.dnv.com
- Germanischer Lloyd (Germany) (GL)www.glc.de
- Hellenic Register of Shipping (Greece) (HRS)www.hrs.gr
- Indian Register of Shipping (India) (IRS)www.irclass.org
- Korean Register of Shipping (Korea) (KRS)www.krs.co.kr
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (UK) (LR)www.lr.org
- Nippon Kaiji Kyokai (Japan) Class NKwww.classnk.or.jp
- Polski Rejestr Statkow (Poland) (PRS)www.prs.gda.pl
- Registro Italiano Navale (Italy) (RINA)www.rina.it